Travel Hacking - Tip #23 – Club Carlson Bonus Promo Loophole - Part 1 - sshhhH!

I think I may have discovered a little loophole to allow anyone to get the bonus points without even checking in (assuming you register at the links here first).  The T&C say “no shows” don’t qualify but my recent experience says otherwise.
A few weeks ago, I availed of a 30% promo and booked a stay at the cheapest Radisson I could find near where I live.  I did this so I could collect 50K Carlson points which is enough to redeem 5 nights in their lower category hotels or 1 night at any of their top tier properties worldwide which go for $500+.  


The hotel I booked was this one in Carteret, New Jersey which despite the good reviews on TripAdvisor is in the middle of an industrial zone with plumes of smoke coming from nearby factories.  Long story short, having driven past the hotel earlier in the day I decided to cancel but I forgot to do so by the 6pm deadline. I called at 7pm and I explained my plans had changed due to flight issues and assumed that was that. 


This week a charge showed up on my credit card for $90 (bummer) but almost instantly 50K showed up in my Club Carlson account (hell yeah!)  I am not going to fight the charge because I was just going to stay there as a mattress run to get the promo 50K bonus so I’m more than happy to pay $90 for 50K points which can be redeemed for a $500 top tier hotel in Europe / Asia.  I don't know if calling to cancel gives you a better chance than a pure 'no show' - as always  YMMV - UPDATE: After more research I realized the original cancellation was honoured and no charge was issued: I had booked another reservation online and did not cancel so was charged for the 'no show' i.e. 'no show counted for the bonus points and no need to call to cancel!

Check out the rest of my travel hacking tips here .
Tags: ..Travel Hacking - Tip #23 – Club Carlson Bonus Promo Loophole - Part 1 - sshhhH! ..
If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

11 comments:

Rapid Travel Chai July 08, 2012 7:54 pm  

This could be the Park Inn antidote.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) July 08, 2012 8:13 pm  

@ Rapid Travel Chai: indeed and for folks who are not near the other hotels too - Bonus..

Anonymous,  July 09, 2012 8:22 am  

Indeed I was actually wondering the same abt the no show and bonus points still crediting. Now most likely the only thing left is to find the cheapest Park Plaza (http://www.parkplaza.com/destinations/) ard the world location/date/way to book a qualifying one night stay before the dedaline in Aug, and August, pay the no show one night penalty, and wait for the associated 50k Carlson points should then show up a few days later.

Dustin,  July 09, 2012 3:38 pm  

Anyone know the cheapest Park Plaza? I'm debating on trying this.

Dustin H. July 09, 2012 3:39 pm  

Anyone figured out the cheapest Park Plaza? I am definitely thinking of trying this out.

Anonymous,  July 09, 2012 3:41 pm  

Anyone found the cheapest Park Plaza? I would definitely like to try this out.

Anonymous,  July 14, 2012 7:40 am  

Its 15k not 50k

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) July 14, 2012 9:27 am  

@ Anony: If you were among the first 100,000 to register it's 50K otherwise it's 15K

https://www.radissonbignightgiveaway.com/

Anonymous,  July 30, 2012 3:54 pm  

For some reason even though I made a booking at Country Inn in California before Jul 15th, and did not show up but still got charged for it, the stay in question does not show up under my Carlson online account, and I have not been credited with the bonus or the standard points for the stay in questions; any suggestions?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) July 30, 2012 11:31 pm  

@ Anony: call them and ask why you didn't get your points

highman123 December 08, 2013 9:07 pm  

Club Carlson can be a program with a fantastic value proposition used correctly. We have outlined some of the best uses for the 97,500 points haul from signing up for the credit card here. You may like it.

Club Carlson

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP