The Great Wall of China




Digressing from the previous 'Dick on a Stick' post I must return to more travel related content. I finally got to visit the Great Wall of China last week, which has been near the top of my "have to go" list for a long time. Sometimes you can have very high expectations for a place that you've yearned to visit and unfortunately these places don't always live up to your expectations but I'm happy to report the 'Great Wall' didn't disappoint.


The wall follows the bumpy contour of the rugged land and winds and stretches as far as you can see, off into the horizon and beyond. I hadn't realised just how steep some of the sections are and you literally need to hang on to a metal railing to heave yourself up some of the inclines. Likewise, you could find yourself slipping on your arse on the declines if you're not careful.


Although we only spent about an hour on the wall, we were all feeling aches and pains for the rest of the day as we must've been using muscles that rarely get used. Of course it could just be we're getting old and the zimmer frames will be a short hop, skip and a fall away.

More pics below



Tags: ..The Great Wall of China..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

9 comments:

Stevo September 19, 2009 7:26 am  

I'm envious. I have yet to see the wall. I deal with the Great Firewall quite often.

Baino September 19, 2009 6:05 pm  

Great indeed! Probably not for me with the creaky knee but the shots are wonderful. Quite a feat of engineering and the only man made structure viewable from space!

nick September 20, 2009 4:58 am  

I didn't realise it was so steep. An elderly friend of ours visited some years back and came back exhausted. Now I see why!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 20, 2009 8:02 am  

@ Stevo: Dude - you need to get out more!

@ Baino: I heard the visible from space thing is an urban myth

@ Nick: My Aunt and Uncle were thinking of visiting - I've advised they train for a few months!

Nomadic Matt September 21, 2009 11:48 am  

the wall is one of the few things i want to see there and it looks like you had a nice day too... awesome

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 21, 2009 10:43 pm  

@ Matt: Yep - weather behaved which is always a bonus

DaveO,  September 22, 2009 2:16 pm  

You did a much better job of capturing how steep it was than I did. I've been amazing my fellow flatlanders here in FL with an ongoing epic poem about 5 roundeyes conquering the Great Wall while struggling valiantly against the laws of physics and common sense.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 23, 2009 8:24 am  

@ DaveO: We sure were a sight to behold weren't we! But only you were asked to be in a strangers photo ;-(

Richard | China's Great Wall October 13, 2009 5:09 pm  

The Great Wall is really something to see. Yes, it's touristy and some times tacky, but still an incredible marvel. The sheer manpower behind the construction is staggering.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP