Indonesia - Bali


Gunung Bromo

I'm a tad behind on the travelogue and inexcusably behind on blog visits (apologies and thanks to those who keep reading this drivel) but the laptop is still fecked (yeah that naughty PC nurse didn't do the job she was supposed to) so I don't connect that often.

We finished off Java on a high (literally) as we scaled Gunung Bromo, an active volcano and watched the sunrise. I have some great photos but they're on the frikkin' laptop :-(

Next we went by bus then boat to Bali (14 long hours) where we stayed in the Γ­n' spot of Kuta. Bali was not quite waht we expected. The beaches were disappointing and Kuta was just a tad tacky. If you're a twenty something backpacker then it's heaven and you can venture further north for some peace and quiet but it's average at best. Maybe I'm getting old but I'm just not sure what all the fuss is about of Bali the beach heaven? It looks good at sunset but not great at midday. We did find heading inland to the tranquil town of Ubud to be the highlight. Lombok and the Gillie isles get good press so maybe another visit is required.

Sunset Bali

Tags: ..Gunung Bromo, Kuta Bali Sunset..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here


10 comments:

Thriftcriminal July 09, 2009 8:45 am  

Looks nice, yeah, Bill Bailey had something to say about Kuta too.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) July 09, 2009 11:03 am  

@ Thrifty: Nice but there is better down here

@ Karen: Thanks and welcome

Baino July 09, 2009 6:08 pm  

Kuta's full of Aussies. Like any commercial holiday spot, you'll do well to get off the beaten track. Lombok is pretty busy too I hear but there are a zillion islands in the archepelago so I'm sure you'll find somewhere stunning. Can't wait for the photos. The volcano looks pretty wonderful. Maybe Kuta's suffered a bit as a result of the Tsunami as well. I know Phuket is still rebuilding in Thailand.

nick July 10, 2009 4:59 am  

Excellent, I can transfer Bali from my "Doesn't appeal" list to my "Avoid it" list. The pic of Gunung Bromo is stunning, that must have been quite an experience.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) July 10, 2009 7:52 am  

@ Baino: yeah way too touristy for this this traveler - better further afield me thinks

@ Nick: You ain't missing much - yes Bromo was a WOW!

Unknown July 10, 2009 10:17 am  

To say I'm a tad envious would be an understatement.
But it's alright, you guys deserve the treat :)
Too bad you didn't have the greatest experience there.

Fida July 10, 2009 12:36 pm  

I burn with envy - yes, I do:(

Megan July 10, 2009 11:51 pm  

I think I just commented the same comment like four times. Apologies, if so.

Megan July 10, 2009 11:52 pm  

Nope, I guess not. So here it is again...

I once met a guy in a bar who went on and on and ON about Bali. Yes, he'd been there when in his 20's...

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) July 12, 2009 5:08 am  

@ Nicole: Thanks - there is better out there me thinks

@ Fida: You'll get here one day - just save save save!

@ Megan: that figures - he'd probably squirm if he went back now

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP