Hiatus in Honkers?

The missus finally arrived in Honkers and we've been exploring the local surroundings so hence the lack of visits to your blogs and updates on this ol' blog of mine. Her indoors has even started a blog of her own, currently documenting the long adventurous trip over here, so please wander over there and give her some encouragement by way of a comment - GauchoGal - http://gauchogal.blogspot.com/

In the meantime just some quick headlines of what's happening here as we try and dodge the swine flu bug and other global disasters.

I found a new vice shortly after arriving in Hong Kong (as if I needed another!) The locals play a game called 'mahjong' which is like 'gin rummy' but played with tiles rather than cards. A friend hosts a game every Sunday and it's a lot of fun especially with a few beers. Since I come from a long line of gamblers and misfits - it's right up my alley or down a slippery slope depending on which way you look at it.
Junk season arrives shortly where a group of people get together and rent a 'junk' boat and head out for the day or night for a bit of a party. I've been out on one trip already and I suppose the term 'booze cruise' is appropriate but the back drop of the Hong Kong skyline makes it a cut above any other water bound shenanigans.

WARNING! - Pot Noodles are dangerously addictive. I had never tried them back home but here they are part of the staple diet and I am hooked. I'm convinced they have a nicotine like drug besides the m.s.g. and I am prone to jumping out of bed in the wee hours to boil the kettle and stir the pot to satisfy the craving. If only I could get out of bed with the same enthusiasm at 7am. Maybe I can patent the noodle patch!

The locals have banded together and made sure we wake up at a reasonable hour by renovating the apartment on the floor above so power drills and hammers are now the norm at 8:30am on Monday to Sunday. Gotta luv the community spirit here!


Tags: .Hiatus in Honkers, Mahjong, Hong Kong, China..
If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

8 comments:

Nicole April 27, 2009 12:04 pm  

I'm glad the missus managed to get there :)
Mahjong is great, I only know it on the computer though :)
And I would love to go on a boat tour like that. Great!
And the workers here start at 7 a.m. ;)
But I have a regular visitor at 4 am, a nice little (loud ass) birdie

Shaunj April 27, 2009 4:33 pm  

How are ya?
The Chinese and Polish definately have a twisted pre-occupation with drilling/hammering at stupid times of the day.I sometimes think they are not really working on anything but simply can't sleep and want to piss everyone else off.

Baino April 27, 2009 5:24 pm  

Ah together at last! Junk season? Sounds like great fun . .unfortunately has a completely different connotation for me and reminds me that this weekend, I'm sorting out the shed! GAH! I'd rather be playing mahjong!

Megan April 29, 2009 12:42 am  

Pretending to comment here while I go visit the wife...

nick April 29, 2009 4:40 am  

So, junk boats and junk food eh. I can't believe the good people of Hong Kong prefer pot noodle to the genuine article, freshly cooked. It would be like the Italians gulping down instant coffee. What's the world coming to etc etc.

You must be happy to be reunited with your significant other after all this time.

Ed & Jeanne May 01, 2009 3:59 pm  

I take my junk on every boat so technically I have been on a junk boat! ;)

I remember playing Mahjong many years ago and thought it was interesting too but I don't remember anything about how to play now after so many years.

Sounds like you're adapting and keeping busy...

wandermom May 02, 2009 1:15 am  

Paddy, Paddy, Paddy, it's distressing me that you're only discovering mahjong now. Holy cow, you're misspent youth was obviously not misspent enough! It is seriously the most addictive game I've ever played (so much so, that I now avoid it like the plague).
And watch your waistline on those pot noodles - addictive and loaded with calories is a dangerous combination.

Cabin-feverish on this end since we spent last w/e in Mexico. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time!! Self-quarantining now just in case ye ugly flu of the swine shows up. Honestly :)

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) May 03, 2009 12:30 pm  

@ Nicole: Frikin' birds used to drive me crazy - 5am full of chirpyness

@ Shaunj: I agree it's a plot - evil plot just to piss peeps off

@ Baino: You need to get the wee ones to do that sort of shit

@ Megan: Typical you chicks stick together

@ Nick: the fresh noodles are good but when you're lazy the pot noodles rule!

@ VE: yes - adapting well thanks - and yes busy despite everything - I know I haven't visited yours in a while but will soon

@ Wandermom: Can't believe you know Mahjong - bad time to be in Mexico but just hold your breath and you'll be ok - also Tequila kills all germs!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP