High School Reunion - 25 Years Later

I was never very fond of school. I think I gave that fact away on my very first day at school when after my mum dropped me off, I proceeded to kick the head teacher hard on the shin. She gave me a wide berth after that and I her.


I tried very hard in primary school to be the best and actually came top of my class in my final year. The teacher had promised a big end of year prize to whichever student won the most gold stars for homework and in class activities. It turned out to be a sham as he gave nought! - I felt betrayed and was seriously pissed off! I had spent countless hours (with parental encouragement) trying to be number one but was rewarded with feck all! - Just as well I wasn't a goth and didn't have access to a gun or ..well you know where I'm going with this - right?

I entered secondary (high) school with little enthusiasm. My first year grade results were absolutely catastrophic. I struggled to get a 'C' grade and had numerous 'E' and 'F' grades. My parents were horrified. They struggled to figure out what had gone wrong.

Big Sis was a straight 'A' student. Big Bro was a bit of a delinquent but also smart as a brass button. Then the disaster arrived. WTF happened? Was I the prodigy of the milkman? Parents and siblings had dark hair but I had blonde hair and blue eyes. Perhaps I was the spawn of the devil? Searches for '666' came up fruitless and besides the devil is smart by all accounts and the milk man turned out to be gay, so I guess I was just missing a gene for studying.

My parents made sure I spent a minimum of 3 hours a night "studying" but this turned into a battleships and card playing marathon with my older 'delinquent' brother (who obviously led me further astray).

After dropping out of an electronics course in my first year at college and seeing the reality of my brightest future as a supermarket dogsbody - I finally managed to re-enroll and scrape thru a basic accountancy course and graduate to the real world (the dole or London was my oyster!)

I had a steady girlfriend who I dreamed about every night - shame she was an imaginary friend aka figment of my imagination - spot the connection with the last post?

My old flame!

I've lost touch with most school / college friends but have just heard they are trying to organize a 25 years on - high school reunion in September 2009. I hope I can make it.

How was your school / college experience?
Still friends with your class mates?
Been to a reunion? - Give me the gossip!


Tags: .High School Reunion - 25 Years Later..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here


.


.

16 comments:

Megan December 15, 2008 2:41 am  

I went to the 10 yr and made an ass of myself. As per usual.

I got a ton of emails when the 20 yr came around, and am happy to say that two of the original "Gang of Four" responded and are still willing to speak to me.

Most of the rest are on the dreaded facebook, and I befriend them as and when asked...

Anonymous,  December 15, 2008 5:56 am  

Get my woman off your post.

I've yet to be even invited to a reunion.

That should tell you everything.

Thriftcriminal December 15, 2008 6:07 am  

I worked had on the basis of the fallacy that working hard in school sets you up in a good job from whence I could coast to retirement. Of course then all the rules changed and I still have to scrabble with all the rest in an effort to maintain my position in the murky pile that is the modern economic miracle. Oh wait, it's broken, tough shit everybody, we're all fucked, no matter how hard you might have worked. My secondary school 20 year reunion is on next year, I'll go along in the hopes of some nepotism giving me a leg up.

Baino December 15, 2008 6:55 am  

Erm being ancient. I've been to two, 10 and 20 year anniversaries of year 12. I have one friend who seems to know everyone! I have trouble recognising anyone. My father used to say 'school days are the best days of your life' he lied. Then 9 schools in as many years,two countries and 2 states made it a bit hard to make lasting friends. Having said that, my best friend in the world is a girl I met at school. You should go, just for the shits and giggles!
@ Thrifty - you should have been a plumber!

Broke But Still Drinking December 15, 2008 9:22 am  

Blonde hair and blue eyes? Just think, you would have sat next to Hitler while your siblings were done away with. Throw that in their faces.

Shaunj December 15, 2008 11:11 am  

ah so you were in love with "Palm" as well were you? She's a popular lass.

Unknown December 15, 2008 12:18 pm  

The first 4 years were alright. I changed schools due to moving in the second year and I was the one beating up the boys from those days on. Teasing tiny little girls, not with me, they got kicked and had more than one bruise ;)

Good days were over when I went on to 5th Grade and Mom decided I should see the Gymnasium. Suck.
I sucked. They sucked.
I repeated 7th Grade up there and luckily could get on at the "Realschule" in 8th Grade and finish with decent Grades there.
Oh well.
Not my most fond memories.

I met some of the people out of those days via Internet and some briefly in real Life on my short visits home.
One reunion I didn't get an invite (even though one girl knew where I was) and now chances are slim for me to ever make it in time. Regretting it I don't overly, nope ;)

Anonymous,  December 15, 2008 12:38 pm  

I graduated from a very small school - graduating class was 24 people. That made it very easy to hate each and every one of them for making school the absolute worst experience of my life - I wasn't goth but did have lots of guns, I guess it's just not in me to start spraying lead everywhere.

Reunion - was invited to my 20th but was in Eastern Europe at the time and I'll be damned if I'll give up a trip in the middle of it to see a bunch of wankers whom I hate with everything I've got.

Martin December 15, 2008 1:01 pm  

I've never been to my own reunion, but I did go to a college friends reunion 'as' someone else.

It was as dull as it sounds.

Yay for panties.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 15, 2008 4:41 pm  

@ Megan: Someones gotto do it so might aswell be you!

@ Maxi: I saw her first - No offence I wouldn't invite you either - it'd be all aover the blogosphere the next day

@ Thrifty: I was similarly duped - I'm afraid they're all going to be horribly successful and I'll have to hit them

@ Baino: Your a veteran of these things then - yeah I'll do my best to make it for curiousity sake

@ Broke: I have no coordination and could never goose step

@ Shaunj: and her five sisters - what a family!

@ Nicole: I think one will be enough for me - Facebook keep in touch without meeting people is the way forward!

@ Will: Man after my own heart - cancel a trip - no F'in way!

@ Xbox: You must have had a lot of memories to catch up on with those strangers!

@ VE: Yeah she gets around a bit from one dirty prepubescent mind to another!

TCL December 15, 2008 11:39 pm  

I went to an expensive boarding school and did enough to get into uni. Actually did ok my first year but then decided that traveling and drinking are more enjoyable.

I went to my boarding school's 5 year reunion. Everybody drank too much, broke into my headmaster's building and wrecked my car. Skipped the 10 and 15 and don't care much for the 20.

Fida December 16, 2008 2:12 am  

My school days are a blur! Maybe because they hit me on the head in grade 6 for being better in math than the boys? After that, all went downhill. 2 of my school friends are still my best friends! Never went to a reunion, though - I was always somewhere where they couldn’t catch me (how convenient.
Believe it or not - none of the pals I went to school with are on Facebook (gosh, how old am I?).

Anonymous,  December 16, 2008 4:59 am  

Don't know anyone from Primary or Secondary any more. Not good times forme I'm afraid.

Anonymous,  December 16, 2008 12:36 pm  

I am still best friends from my buddy from 3rd grade.

That's about it, though.

Nomadic Matt December 18, 2008 2:47 am  

i found everyone on facebook. they all got ugly and fat. that's what i wanted to know so i wont go to my 10 yr next year!

Queen Goob December 19, 2008 11:22 pm  

High school sucked. I skipped my 10th but went to my 20th. Had fun but I think I was the only unmarried person there. When the 25th came around I took off and went to hang at my best friend's house in Charlotte. She is - what else - my high school best friend.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP