Fernet Branca and Coke

I had a bit of a late one last night as my sister-in-law and some friends threw a joint party. OK, I can see you now envisioning cigarette papers and a pungent recogniseable smokey aroma but alas no, it was "joint" as in collective, for their 30th birthdays which are in the same week.

They hired out a salon and a DJ, as is common here and it was BYOB so I brought some wine. I ended up switching to what many consider to be the national drink here called Fernet which is typically mixed with coke (as in cola) .

Fernet is produced in Italy and was originally sold as a medicine. It is still marketed as containing 40 herbs and spices (more than KFC?) including myrrh, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, saffron and rhubarb? (huh? ....rhubarb is neither a herb or a spice?)

Fernet Branca

It has a distinctly bitter taste and the viscosity and colour of cough syrup but considering it's home remedy and medicinal properties include the treatment of menstrual and gastrointestinal discomfort, cholera and hangovers, sure it must be good for ya!

As with most nocturnal events here the party didn't start until late (midnight) and when we were going home it was into the morning light at 6:30am - Argh!

Needless to say I have been full of energy today since I crawled from the bed to the couch at the crack of mid afternoon. I must go out now and get myself something for a detox. Ah! - I know. A bottle of Fernet should do the trick. Thus an endless vicious cycle continues!

Tags: ..Fernet Branca and Coke, Coca Cola, hangover cure..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here


.

.

7 comments:

Fida December 21, 2008 9:20 pm  

Funny! Love it. My mother still keeps Fernet Branca in her medicine cabinet. Though both my parents insist that they are not alcoholics - grin!

Megan December 21, 2008 10:18 pm  

I'm going to need some in the morning...

TCL December 22, 2008 10:22 am  

How do they do it? I do the occasional 4 or 5am out of stupidity but 6:30am is something I haven't done in a while. I wouldn't be too functional for a couple days.

Anonymous,  December 22, 2008 3:58 pm  

That sounds marginally better than the national drink here (in China). Baijiu, I believe, is a cross between Nitric Acid and petrol.

Baino December 22, 2008 4:40 pm  

Well Quickie, 'tis the season as they say! Sounds bloody awful frankly rhubarb and coke! GAH! I'll stick with the bubbly stuff and a nice bottle of chardy! 'hic'

Robot Nine December 22, 2008 11:50 pm  

$0 herbs and spices and not even fried, that's gotta be good for you. Alan

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 23, 2008 3:50 pm  

@ Fida: Another good reason to raid the parents med cabinet

@ Megan: You on the bottle again?

@ TCL: The siesta is the secret - better start practicing!

@ Stevo: oooh posh! petrol is expensive!

@ Baino: Don't think about the flavour - think about the good it'sdoing you - hic!

@ Alan: Good for the body - good for the pocket!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP