Danger! Blogging can damage your health

I've heard of bloggers with writers block who have anxiety attacks over the pressure of feeling they HAVE to write a blog post. Still more suffer from stress, sleep deprivation, exhaustion and depression all related to their compulsion to blog.


Direct physical injuries are rare although RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) is a problem for quite a few. Alas, I fear I myself have become the latest casualty. I use a IBM Thinkpad T23 which is 8 years old. It has a red trackball mouse in the centre of the keyboard.

Photo: IBM Thinkpad Trackball Mouse Finger Injury

You use your index finger to move the mouse pointer around the screen. Recently, I noticed it seemed as if I needed to apply considerably more pressure to the trackball to move the mouse pointer. After a long 'hands online' session, I would have a Kirk Douglas-esque dimple on my index fingertip.


I started to notice a slight discomfort in the
joints at the knuckles in my index finger about a month ago. That discomfort has grown to a pain requiring me to try and navigate using my other digits but with similar painful results and less coordination (you'd be surprised how tricky left handed trackballing is)

I did some googling and apparently this 'injury' is quite common so I think I'm going to have to either quit blogging or revert to a traditional mouse. The former seems a bit drastic and the latter so 'like totally' 1990's. What the hell am I gonna do?

Photo: Traditional Mouse
Tags: .Blogging can damage your health, RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), death by blogging, ..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here


.

.

14 comments:

Megan December 23, 2008 11:05 pm  

Time for a new laptop!

Baino December 24, 2008 4:42 am  

Woosies all of you! I've been using PC's since they were invented (yep just call me Methusalah). Voice recognition? Seriously, even the kids use a conventional mouse with their laptops so might work. Or you could just do finger calesthenics . .wiggle and point, wiggle and point!

Baino December 24, 2008 4:46 am  

Oh I forgot. It's Christmas Eve here. Have a great Hannukah or Christmas or boozefest or fiesta or whatever you do down there! Thanks Quickie for the blog and the comments and Facebook and . . have a great break!

Anonymous,  December 24, 2008 6:39 am  

I think Apple's mouse is the best kind of mouse I have ever used.

My friend said he never feel pain again since he used apple's Mighty Mouse. It's really the kind Design of Human Body Engineering!

Merry Christmas! My friend!

And a happy happy happy new year!

Martin December 24, 2008 10:42 am  

Right shoulder, right wrist.

Herniated disc, leading to a totally shagged right leg down to the foot, and a semi shagged left leg.

14 months of Chiropractor visits.

THAT'S what sitting behind a PC has done for me.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 24, 2008 11:16 am  

@Maxi: Lovely analogy - just lovely

@Megan: You gonna buy me one for xmas?

@Baino: I'm considering the VR. Happy xmas to you too!

@Maxi: Wish i had a Mac :-(( - Happy Holidays to you too!

@Conan: I'm sure there must be some class action lawsuit I can band in with

@Xbox: OK - I think you've one upped me there!

Ed & Jeanne December 24, 2008 3:08 pm  

I suggest you create a mental wireless transfer into your USB port...you won't have to move at all.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you and your family. Enjoy the heat. See you on the other side.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 25, 2008 9:48 pm  

@ iWalk: i'll have to try a MAC

@ iWalk: I've tried that but the USB port is 1.0 and doesn't support mind control :-((

Anonymous,  December 26, 2008 1:04 pm  

Upgrade I say! Or go to a regular mouse for now before it's too late and your index finger sues you for abuse and cruelty.

I know, not much help and I'd send you my old desktop (only 5 years old) but the shipping costs to Buenos Aires are outrageous.

Anonymous,  December 28, 2008 3:15 pm  

My suggestion is
Buy an Apple MacBook,
and the small apple wireless mouse, it's just brilliant!
Even the slide pad is not bad once you get used to it.
I know a costly suggestion but it's worth it my friend.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 29, 2008 10:39 am  

@VE: Happy holidays to you too

@Alan: Been there but lost :-(

@Kirk M: Thanks for the offer but you're right shipping would be more than a new PC

@Gaye: If only I had the dosh :-(

Fida January 01, 2009 10:25 pm  

I am sooo late 90s - so no dimple here, hehehe!

Fida January 01, 2009 10:28 pm  

Actually, I had exactly the same laptop (it's still living). Real quality - didn't mind the minus 40C nor the rough travels!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP