TV or not TV



We finally got connected to cable TV a few days ago which took 6 weeks, 23 phone calls, 3 emails and 1 fax. An almost comical series of events, too frustrating to bother mentioning here.  We now have 80 channels but in reality, very, very little of interest. I am seriously tempted to cancel it but that would probably take another 6 weeks and god knows how many other forms of communication and I'm just not sure I have it in me just now. 

I used to have a PVR (TIVO) called Replay TV but alas no more. I have resorted to automatically downloading the TV programs I like. Sure, I know it's not totally legit but I now wake up to the latest episodes of Saturday Night Live, The Daily Show, Family Guy and even Eastenders.

If you fancy trying it out yourself click the +/- below for instructions as seen on CNET

+/-

Step 1: Download and install the Miro media player, which is available for Linux, Mac and Windows.

Step 2: Locate an RSS feed for a TV show you want to watch. One fantastic source of these is the website tvRSS.net

or another UK based one is UKNova

Navigate through the list of TV shows on the tvRSS website, and find a desired show.

Screenshot of tvRSS website

(Credit: tvRSS.net)

On the web-page for the show, right click on the link to the RSS feed of that show, and copy the URL location.

Screenshot of tvRSS website

(Credit: tvRSS.net)

Step 3: Open up Miro, and go to the Channels menu, and select Add Channel. The RSS address that was copied previously should already be displayed. If it's not, paste it.

Screenshot of Miro media player

(Credit: Miro)

Miro should now automatically download the latest episode of that show, which it will continue to do every time a new episode appears online.

Screenshot of Miro media player

(Credit: Miro)

For ease of use, a user will probably want to rename the channel to something recognizable. This can be done by going to the Channels menu and selecting Rename.

Screenshot of Miro media player

(Credit: Miro)


By following these three steps, its possible for a user to wake up to their favorite TV shows already downloaded to their computer, waiting to be watched

Update - Instead of Miro which is a little memory intensive I now recommend TED

Update to the update - You don't even need Torrent Episode Downloader if you use uTorrent - see instructions here.



Tags: Multicanal, Fibertel, download tv, cable tv, miro. tvRSS, uknova, torrent, pirate, illegal download

If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates via email or RSS reader - Click Here

9 comments:

Anonymous,  October 13, 2008 5:45 am  

TV good.

Other stuff, bad.

Anonymous,  October 13, 2008 10:54 am  

tv good, satelite tv better, tivo, sky plus best
is that you as shrek?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 13, 2008 6:16 pm  

@ Matt: but I'm an addict!

@ Maxi: What other stuff?

@ Roy: show off! - yep that's my alter ego

Anonymous,  October 13, 2008 7:26 pm  

80 channels and nothing worth watching. 23 phone calls!! It's amazing how much Argentina sounds like China, well at least to me.

Megan October 13, 2008 8:14 pm  

I was at my dad's last night and he asked if we were watching any of the new fall shows. Answer: Nope.

Anonymous,  October 13, 2008 9:31 pm  

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.

Anonymous,  October 14, 2008 12:56 pm  

I am a not TV person! I only use my television for movie watching.

Hi,Quickroute, I have an award for you, PLS check it on my site.Hope you like it. :)

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 14, 2008 4:59 pm  

@ L o N: seems to be a global phenominon

@ Megan: surprised you can manage without them

@ Stevo: As long as you have a fast connection you should be good

@ iWalk: I need my fix of some popular TV - Thanks for the nomination

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP