Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires

I went on one of my now famous walkathons today.  I need to motivate myself to get going but once I get going, I'm like Forrest Gump or the Energizer Bunny - I just keep going and going.  15 minutes walk from our new place in San Telmo is the barrio of Puerto Madero.

It's probably one of the most expensive places to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment in Buenos Aires.  It's a tacky tourist area and restaurant prices are on a par with accommodation i.e. bling bling! although there are some good buffet deals.

Despite the credit crunch elsewhere in the world, construction is booming here (see photos above and below) and great monstrosities of tower blocks with luxury apartments are selling and renting for up to 10 times the going rates elsewhere in the city.

There is a huge ecological park behind Puerto Madero that is a welcome respite from the concrete jungle.  It's a bird watchers haven and although I am a city slicker at heart, it's so refreshing coming here to escape...everything and anything! (check the photos below). 



I did the 8km circuit around the park at high (extra sunny) noon and now look very similar to  this...


Tags: Puerto Madero, ecological park, The Parque Natural y Reserva EcolΓ³gica Costanera Sur Natural Park and Ecological Reserve,apartments 

If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates via email or RSS reader - Click Here

10 comments:

Anonymous,  October 17, 2008 12:11 am  

I see so much green through your eyes! That's really a good supply for the concrete jungle.

Keep going and going like Forrest Gump for a 8km circuit! yeah, You should get some remembrancer, Even the sun's mark on the face.:)

Baino October 17, 2008 12:35 am  

Wow lot of construction going on and I thought there was a credit crunch! Amazing how a little bit of water makes a city look so cool. You'll have more than an itchy nose with that sunburn!

Megan October 17, 2008 1:09 am  

Nice! So far to go to catch up to Miami...and that's a very good thing.

Sunburn? Notsogood. Aloe vera time?

Anonymous,  October 17, 2008 4:27 am  

As Baino says, I thought construction everywhere was grinding to a halt. Obviously not the case in your neck of the woods. Good to have such a green lung next to all the towering concrete, unlike parts of London which are just solid bricks and mortar for miles.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 17, 2008 11:05 am  

@ iWalk: My pasty Irish skin is no match for the sun down here

@ Baino: They're building like there's no tomorrow but unfortunately tomorrow is coming soon

@ Megan: I'm dowsing myself in Aloe vera as I type

@ Nick: I only discovered this place recently but it will be my regular retreat from now on

Anonymous,  October 17, 2008 12:19 pm  

Walking?

Hire a limo driver like all us rich people!!

Broke But Still Drinking October 17, 2008 4:42 pm  

With all that construction I'm sure a man can eat well out of the dumpsters, no?

Martin October 17, 2008 5:14 pm  

You could get a number with the tourist board.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 17, 2008 10:08 pm  

@ Maxi: You're rich? Share yer dosh or your Ma

@ VE: Life is like a box of chocs

@ Broke: Eat from dumpsters - yes - Drink form dumpsters - No!

@ Xbox: So you want a tour then? - it'll cost ya

Anonymous,  October 19, 2008 9:05 pm  

That ecological place sounds really cool. Puerto Madero sounds like an overpriced tourist trap.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP