Plastic Bags to be banned in Buenos Aires


Every time I go to the supermarket here, I either bring a large cloth 'Marks & Spencers' bag I brought from London or if it's just a few bits n' bobs I bring a few recycled plastic bags and shove them in my pocket for reuse.

To be honest, I feel like a bit of a granny with the cloth bag and maybe I should have invested in a zimmerframe and grey wig just to cover my tracks. I'm no green tree hugger, but I hate the idea of waste and pollution.

They double bag everything here and it drives me nuts. I practically have to wrestle the check- out lad/lass NOT to give me more plastic bags. I become paranoid they don't understand my mumbled Spanish - "Tengo un bolsa" - (I have a bag) but they normally feign indifference and keep double bagging until I say "Basta!" (Stop!) and then they give you a look like you're strange - oh but sure you are strange - you're a gringo - why don't you want 'free' plastic bags - nuff said!

Ireland has a ban on free plastic bags and a hefty charge if you still need a container to cart home the groceries and although the adjustment was a pain at first it made a lot of sense, as a large chunk of the pollution in the rivers in Ireland at the time was due to plastic bags.

I'm not running a crusade here to save the tuna or turtle or tortoise etc but just basic common sense and respect. BYOB - Bring Your Own Bag

Finally some good news on the link below - A law has been passed recently to rid Buenos Aires of plastic bags forever! - Perhaps there is a green god afterall?!!


The Argentine Post: Buenos Aires Province Bans Plastic Bags



If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates via email or RSS reader Click Here

9 comments:

Anonymous,  September 18, 2008 3:01 am  

That's good news. At least you won't look like a granny now.

Oh, and imagine what'd happen if I shouted "Basta!" in a supermarket. Maybe I'll try it today.

Martin September 18, 2008 4:25 am  

Organised crime gangs are gonna be pi**ed....

Baino September 18, 2008 8:26 am  

I love my green Coles nana bags and my spesh little red ones with compartments for six bottles (chardy of course) We haven't got round to banning the bag (hey we have a Rock Star as our Environment Minister and he lost his balls once he entered politics) but good for you. As for 'Basta' Gold gold gold! My word of the week!

Anonymous,  September 18, 2008 8:54 am  

one of the best things they ever did here

Anonymous,  September 18, 2008 11:18 am  

It's a good news! Plastic Bags were banned in my country since this June.
It's late, But better than never doing.

PS: Please visit my blog when you get the chance. I have an award for you. :)

Anonymous,  September 18, 2008 1:45 pm  

I always carry a plastic bag with me to avoid being given new ones. I also have a wonderful fold-up green cloth bag which I got in Sydney - Baino will know what I mean. But shops here regularly try to give me a bag for my newspaper!!

Megan September 18, 2008 3:21 pm  

I believe there is an initiative pending here to 'ban the bag' - must go to the Sec'y of State website now and check.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 18, 2008 8:29 pm  

@Primal: Shout it and run for your life

@Xbox: Organised crime gangs need your help - Donate thru me

@Baino: you cart around 6 chardy bottles at a time - I'm impressed!

@Roy: Deffo!

@Walk: good - it needs to be world wide - popping over as we speak

@Nick: It's like flyers for a restaurant - they just want to hand out as many as poss

@Megan: sooner the better!

Anonymous,  September 19, 2008 4:05 pm  

I have a few green bags as well. In the NY and Puerto Rico soon plastic bags will be history.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP